Learning how to crochet a baby blanket is as simple as two steps. This article explains the ins and outs of making a baby blanket for beginners. However, it`s essential that you already have a pattern to follow.
Much like knitting a pillow, crocheting a baby blanket requires patience. Still, don`t be discouraged from trying this project even without experience. The process itself is straightforward and smooth once you see your progress as you go.
How To Crochet A Baby Blanket For Beginners
Do not be intimidated in understanding how to crochet a baby blanket as a beginner. We will give you a quick two-step overview of the process and discuss the pattern and border in more detail as you go through this article. Note that we didn`t use abbreviations to guide you much easier.
1. Start the rows according to the blanket pattern
You can select a baby blanket pattern on the internet to match your desired design. Use a hook that`s a size larger than the yarn label and start the first few rows according to the pattern. If you`re a beginner, we recommend a pattern that uses single crochet stitches.
2. Finish the stitch pattern and border of the blanket
At this point, you will finish the pattern until you reach the desired size of the baby blanket. It can be around 34 inches in length for a preemie, but it`s a square shape, with each side measuring 30 inches for a newborn blanket. And as for the blanket border, the easiest one you can do is ribbed.
How To Make A Single Crochet Baby Blanket
Now that you understand the two-step guide for crocheting a baby blanket let us teach you the most straightforward pattern: the single crochet baby blanket in more detail.
- Decide on the baby blanket size to know how many stitches and rows you`ll need, and make the chains with a crochet hook and yarn. Make one chain and single crochet into the second chain from the hook. You also want to single crochet in each chain on the blanket`s end.
- Your yarn should be high enough for the second row. Make a single chain in every single chain to end and then repeat until you reach your desired blanket length.
- Finally, fasten your project and weave the ends.
How To Crochet A Ribbed Edge On A Baby Blanket
We have also mentioned earlier that a ribbed border is an easy choice for a baby blanket if you`re a beginner. Using single crochet, add a border around the blanket before following these steps for crocheting a ribbed edge:
- You have to know how to make double crochet for one corner and into each stitch to reach the next corner. Repeat as necessary until you reach the first corner and work a double crochet into it.
- Slip stitch into the first double crochet and make a front post double crochet into the same stitch. Then, back post double crochet in the next stitch and alternate with front post double crochet for the next stitch until you reach the first row.
- Finally, slip stitch to the first front post double crochet, fasten off, and weave the blanket ends.
What Is The Best Crochet Stitch For A Baby Blanket?
When making a baby blanket, you`ll come across different patterns online, and each may require a specific crochet stitch. The best ones we can recommend that even beginners can try are:
- Blanket stitch
- Basic single crochet stitch
- Basketweave stitch
- V Double crochet stitch
- Cluster stitch
What is the best yarn for a baby blanket?
You can use most yarns for a baby blanket, and they include cotton, organic cotton, acrylic, cotton-acrylic blend, and silk. Since you want to use something soft to prevent irritating your baby`s skin, cotton-acrylic yarns would be the best. This material is also machine-washable, so you can conveniently clean the blanket without issues.
What Size Crochet Hook Do I Use For A Baby Blanket?
A blanket pattern will mention a hook that will be suitable for it. But a valuable rule to remember is that you don`t need something too big because baby blankets are finer than your bulkier regular ones. You can also use your yarn as a guide and adjust the hook size down if you find the stitches too loose.
How Do I Make A Simple Baby Blanket?
It can be intimidating to crochet a baby blanket, especially if you have not much experience. However, you can start by making a no-sew baby blanket to keep your creative juices flowing until you can get your hands on some yarn and crochet hooks. You`ll only need two colors of minky fabric and some scissors.
Cut each piece of fabric according to your desired blanket size and cut a square out of each piece`s corners. Then, make slits on all sides for braiding and constructing the blanket together. You’ll only need to knot a pair of fringe around the blanket, and you’re done!
Even if you don`t have much experience in crocheting, you can experiment with something small and fine, like a baby blanket. This article simplified learning how to crochet a baby blanket into two steps, and you`re done. We`ve explained a simple single crochet pattern and ribbed border, but you can also try other patterns that are user-friendly, like those we listed.