If you’re a new parent in the UK, you might be wondering, what is a receiving blanket?
You`ve probably seen it in movies or TV shows a thousand times already, or perhaps you`ve experienced it first-hand.
Do you know the fabric that nurses use to wrap newborns while handing them over to their mothers? That`s what it is. Now, how is it different from swaddles or muslins?
For a more detailed description, continue to read below.
What Is A Receiving Blanket: Appearance, Composition, Uses
Typically seen in single colors at hospitals, this thin and soft baby accessory is made of plush, cotton, or flannel. The usual size is 30 x 30 inches, but some manufacture it into 30 x 40 inches sheets.
Usually, receiving blankets are smaller than swaddle blankets, but don`t let that fact fool you! This accessory, which generally comes in packs of 2 to 4, is versatile and can be used in more applications.
Aside from the size, another difference between receiving blankets from muslins and swaddles is its primary function. Receiving blankets are initially intended for wrapping newborns, whereas the other two are meant for swaddling.
However, as mentioned above, there are many other uses for receiving blankets, and these are enumerated in the following list.
- Swaddling Although we mentioned that swaddles are recommended for this job, receiving blankets can function well.
- Bathing Since it retains heat very well, receiving blankets are excellent driers after giving your babies a quick wash.
- Changing Mat You don`t want your baby to get cold while waiting for their new diaper, do you? Use these blankets when you don`t have a regular changing mat available, especially in a public area.
- Breastfeeding Speaking of public areas, some moms in the UK still prefer to cover up while feeding their infants in front of other people in the UK. Luckily, receiving blankets fits perfectly for this purpose. You can also use it to clean up spit-ups or dribbles.
- Stroller/Car cover In case of emergency, receiving blankets is convenient for sudden rain showers when you stroll. Likewise, they provide ample warmth when you are inside your car.
- Play Mat When you are out and your child is playing, these sheets are excellent alternative playmats to protect your babies from the elements.
- Burp Cloth This ensures that your child`s beautiful dresses are protected from spills. The smaller burp clothes just can`t seem to catch anything that`s beyond a drop of liquid.
- Giant Bib Connected to the previous item, receiving blankets offers much more security from splatters than the usual small bibs. This is especially true when your children grow up and are messy eaters.
How to repurpose receiving blankets
While the primary purpose of receiving blankets is to provide warmth to your little ones, this handy piece of cloth does more than that.
It also makes perfect sense to repurpose these infant articles once your babies outgrow them. Below are the many other ways that you can use your receiving blankets.
Instant spill cleaner
Aside from being warm to the body, receiving blankets are also excellent absorbents for those random spills.
Whether you like to make it into a quilt, pillowcase, or apron, the idea of having something that reminds you of your child`s younger days is undoubtedly sweet.
UK room decor
Once they have outgrown these sheets, you can easily cut off some pieces and turn them into UK room decorations for your child`s appreciation.
To prevent a disastrous ending to your beloved couch, cover it up with these blankets so your babies won`t draw or puke on it.
Just as how easy it is for us adults to sleep in a familiar bed, so is for our babies with their blankets. The comfortable texture and warmth it provides make it easier for the children to fall asleep.
No, receiving blankets are not only good as playmats. They can also be used by your children when they start playing pretend with their dolls.
Here are some safety tips before we head on to the summary.
First, do not leave loose blankets anywhere, especially on the crib. Never cover your little ones with a blanket up to 1 year of age.
Also, do not wrap the blankets around the neck or head. Lastly, when your baby starts rolling over, do not swaddle anymore.
Being first-time parents in the UK is one of the most exciting, memorable, and sometimes frightening experiences for adults.
The joy of seeing your flesh and blood smiling back at you with all that innocence is irreplaceable. That`s why we always ensure that we provide only the best the world can offer for our little ones.
Receiving blankets is one of those baby articles that is indispensable for new parents in the UK. The versatility, comfort, and durability of these items make them ideal to use in various chores.
Then, once our lovely children grow up, these accessories still have their function in our everyday lives.