In terms of how to make a lap blanket, there are three methods you can choose from; sewing, knitting, and crocheting.
These three methods are decorative needlework that can genuinely work someone’s creativity, patience, and determination.
They are a sweet combination of textile craft, experience, and technique.
You can sew, crochet, or knit a lap blanket. It comes down to which method you are most experienced in or which one you are most comfortable with.
How To Make A Lap Blanket
A lap blanket is a beautiful project for any novice needleworker.
It takes patience and time to make, but it is an easy enough project for anyone new to the craft to accomplish.
Although, there is the matter of choosing which method you should use to make one.
Method #1. Sewing
- Step #1. Prepare all you need, such as the fabric, quilt batting, sewing thread or embroidery floss. Determine the size of your lap blanket.
- Step #2. Cut any excess edges on the fabrics.
- Step #3. Line up the fabrics in the correct order and pin the layers together. Pin 3 sides, leaving behind one side open.
- Step #4. Stitch the three sides. You can either use a machine or hand sew.
- Step #5. From the open side, turn the blanket inside out. Pin the three sides to keep the seams straight. Fold the open end by about an inch and pin it.
- Step #6. To finish up, sew all the sides.
Method #2. Knitting
- Step #2. Choose the yarn and the knitting needles you will use. For the needles, you can choose regular knitting needles or perhaps circular knitting needles.
- Step #3. Cast on your needed number of stitches. Determine the number of stitches by checking the yarn and needles’ gauge or using the yarn label as a guide.
- Step #4. After casting the stitches, knit across all the stitches by using a basic knit stitch. Though, you are free to try another stitch or add on some embellishment stitches.
- Step #5. Continue knitting all rows till you reach your desired size of the blanket. Patience is the key to this, as it will take time to get there.
Do short knitting sessions every day, and you will eventually finish it.
- Step #6. When you reach the blanket’s ideal size, cast off the stitches and weave in any ends that you missed.
Method #3. Crocheting
- Step #1. You have to determine the size, choose a yarn, and pick a hook size for the preparation process. Crochet hook sizes range from B (2.25mm) to S (19 mm).
- Step #2. Decide on the look and composition of the lap blanket. There is a countless array of stitches you can choose from.
- Step #3. Chain stitch the width you chose. Keep it loose, so you have room to control it.
Make the chain divisible by either 5 or 10 to make it easier for you to keep track.
- Step #4. Once done with the chain, turn it so you will be moving from right to left.
For single crochet, you have to insert the hook on the second loop from your needle. For double crochet, could you insert it into the third loop?
- Step #5. Keep on crocheting each row until you reach your ideal length. Crocheting is only a simple crochet pattern.
You can also use granny squares or zigzag rows for a unique take.
What Is The Standard Size Of A Lap Blanket?
The lap blanket should be big enough to cover someone’s lap and legs. The standard size is typically 36-by-48 inches, but you can play around with these measurements.
For more accurate dimensions, you can measure the lap’s width and the length of the legs of the person you are planning to give it to.
How To Choose The Yarn To Use?
There are some factors you can consider when choosing the yarn if you decided to crochet or knit.
There are different ranges of thickness and weight of yarns. It can also affect how fast you can finish a project.
For beginners, it is best to work with worsted weight yarn or the #4 on the yarn label.
For the type of yarn, it is good to think about the recipient’s needs. Wool is ideal for warmth and durability, while cotton and acrylic are softer and easier to wash.
The wool blend is a good compromise as it provides warmth and is soft on the skin.
What Are The Uses Of Lap Blankets?
Lap blankets are ideal for a lazy day. You can drape it over your lap while watching tv or reading a book. It provides you with warmth during a chilly day.
Elders are the ones who benefit from them the most, though. There are lap blankets made explicitly for wheelchairs and nursing homes in the UK.
Lap blankets are a perfect and fast project for beginners, and there are three methods you can use on how to make a lap blanket.
The decision on which method to use depends on your experience, patience, and comfort!